Saturday, July 9, 2011


Following our San Antonio visit, we had to stop in Dallas while Kevin attended a training. It was a pretty dreadful day, which was mostly my fault. I failed to plan the day, so we ended up doing a lot of wandering. It all worked out, but I was very ready for Kevin to meet back up with us and head for home. We had to be checked out of our hotel that morning, and we were limited to doing things that were walking distance from our hotel. The JFK museum was really close, so that was our first stop. Skylar was elated, but the other two were NOT impressed! As we arrived and we were waiting to start the tour Londyn says "After this can we please do something fun?" Skylar responds with "Londyn, there is nothing more fun than this!" Londyn and Lincoln humored us, but the tour would have been a little more beneficial had they stayed behind. I can't blame them though, it was an audio tour, and over their heads. All things considered their behavior was acceptable, but it was a little rough. Skylar thought it was great and was left with even more questions, so I supposed the mission was accomplished. This tour did only last a little over an hour, which left us with about 6 more hours to kill. Did I mention it was HOT, we were walking, and had no idea where we were going? The only thing I could find within walking distance to do was make a stop at the Dallas World Aquarium. I really didn't want to go because it was more than I wanted to spend, but we had to get out of the heat and off the street. So, we visited the aquarium. The kids had a good time, and it counted as a "fun" activity for Londyn, so I guess it worked out. Lincoln was way too tired though, so he was a bit difficult. He loved the animals, but wanted to run around and fussed quite a bit. But you better believe I made them pose for pictures anyway. I'll spare you and only post one, but they look like their having a great time, don't you think?

We still had a couple of hours before Kevin's training was supposed to be over, so we made stop at a self-serve yogurt bar that happened to be on our path and a visit to the scariest McDonald's I've ever stepped foot into. Once I realized the surroundings, I grabbed the food, grabbed the kids and made a run for it, attempting to be very nonchalant, of course. So much for a relaxing break and a cold drink. We did survive, but I was SO relieved to finally get in the car and head back to Tulsa. It was quite an exhausting day. I am however thankful for resilient kids that do a good job of making the best out of any situation. I'm thinking they probably didn't get that from me.

post signature


Wendy said...

When I was in DC this past week, I shared with our tour guide your daughter's thirst for information regarding JFK. He thought that was great! This post was cute, too. Glad she still has a thirst for knowledge and the other 2 didn't have complete meltdowns as she explored her interests! (I know my oldest son probably would have! haha)

Devin said...

Thanks for all you comments Wendy! Yes, she always wants to know all the details and has lots of questions. I'm glad you had a good time in DC. I think next time I should go with a group and have a tour guide. It's so overwhelming! Enjoy the rest of your summer!