Saturday, September 20, 2008

Gift Bags, Paper Goods and Bday Cake


There are a few things that I have issues with, and as Skylar's party is coming up this evening, I've been reminded once again about my obsession with party supplies and birthday cake. Let's start with the cake. For every birthday party, I always have what I think is a great idea for a birthday cake. However, when I try to explain my idea to the bakery, and they try to relay it to the decorator, it never fails that I am disappointed. This year is no different. My child would be perfectly happy with a cupcake, yet I can't seem to let the whole cake thing go. I also get very frustrated about trying to find gift bags, wrapping paper, and paper goods. I always see cute things when I'm out looking, but when I'm actually looking for something specific, I can NEVER find what I want. Again, like my 5 year old cares about any of that, it's just this weird thing I have that I know is insane. It really stresses me out when I can't find wrapping paper or gift bags that coordinate with the party. I have talked myself out of letting it ruin my day, and we are looking forward to a great pajama party tonight, despite the cake and other party stuff! BUT, if you know of great websites, or stores that may help me with this obsession, please let me know!
(In case you were wondering, the thing that upsets me about this cake is that it was supposed to have black dots on the top layer so it would coordinate with the zebra print. I also thought the zebra print was poorly done. I had a zebra print cake for my birthday that was cute, but this to me just looks like V's going up and down the cake. Am I crazy?)

4 comments:

April said...

Your zebras were done better but I absolutely love the cake. Austin actually saw it and said pretty for the 1st time!

Shannon Koeninger said...

I think the cake is great!

Totally understand - I spent Skylar's party running around trying to find the perfect plates and napkins for the CAbi party next week, to no avail - I ended up with boring cream....

Anonymous said...

The cake is really cute, but I totally understand being upset about it not turning out the way you wanted. I already have fears Paxton's 1st birthday cake won't be as great as it is in my head. Too bad we're such perfectionist moms.

Hope the party went well!!!

Melinda said...

I too think the cake is really cute but I understand about stressing over the details...what's sad is our kids probably don't even notice the little details : (
For future reference, check out Kid's Parties by Lori at www.lorisparties.com Sometimes she has really cute things and gives you ideas on different theme parties as well. I ordered some stuff from her for Beau's birthday and it was all really cute!