Sunday, May 18, 2008

Burning Love

Skylar and Londyn after the show with Grammy Tammy and PaPa.
Skylar and Londyn with great grandma Del.

The proud parents.

The proud aunt, uncle, and soon to be cousin


The proud aunt and uncle








It was virtually impossible to get the girls to cooperate with me to let me take their picture, so this is as good as it gets. If you would like to see their professional photos, you can check them out at http://www.betsygregoryphotography.com/ . The username is devin_l_lawrence@yahoo.com, and the password is dance.

What a day! Well, I'll begin by telling you what a great family I have. Our WHOLE family drove 5 hours with horrible gas prices, slept on pull out sofas, the floor, the couch, and anywhere else they could find an open spot, put up with me, and sat through a 3 1/2 hour dance recital to see the girls on stage for about 10 minutes. It seems a little crazy, but I'm really glad we're crazy! That's what makes us us, and I wouldn't want it any other way. Anyway, we started off the day with rehearsal at 9:00AM, and had to be back at the recital around 2:30PM. The girls got very little sleep the night before, and there wasn't time during the day for a nap. Needless to say, they were both very tired. It was about time to put their dance costumes on and fix their hair. Skylar wasn't feeling well, and was not acting like herself. She said she had a headache, and she didn't want to go to the recital. I was thinking great, we have spent every Monday night for 9 months practicing, a ridiculous amount on a costume, and you don't want to go, swell. Londyn was thankfully still excited at this point, so she went ahead and got ready. Skylar eventually let me get her ready with much regret. I had left a little time in our schedule for a few pics before we had to get in the car, but the girls weren't up for that at all. So, off we went to the recital. Being the genius mother that I am, I went ahead and put their tap shoes on to save time. I had obviously forgotten how slippery the floor is while wearing tap shoes. We made it to the recital location, and Londyn is walking down the hallway and slips. I didn't think anything of it until I got over to her and her mouth was full of blood. Thankfully, it looked much worse than it was, but nonetheless, a bloody lip on recital day was not my idea of fun. Londyn had already become somewhat hesitant about dancing on stage, and an injury didn't help. I was pretty much thinking at this point that neither of them were going to make it on stage . They started to loosen up a little as they saw the other dancers come in. We had perfect seats in the third row, and by the time the girls were supposed to go backstage to the holding areas, they were both ready to go. Whew! They performed their tap number to Burning Love which was hysterical. We laughed so hard we cried. Skylar tried so hard to do everything perfectly, and had a huge smile on her face the entire time. She did very well, you could definately see her maturity from last year. Londyn was the tiniest one in her group, and also did very well. My favorite part was how she always looked to Skylar to see what she was supposed to be doing. It was so sweet to see how much she looks up to her big sister. I felt at that moment like the happiest person in the world. Both girls were so happy and so excited, and as I looked down the row at my family, everyone was laughing and smiling. I'm really not sure if there is anything cuter than itty bitty girls dressed up in feathers and tutus trying to tap dance. Anyway, they then performed their ballet and danced to Do You Love Me for the finale. The other two performances were equally entertaining. All in all, all the hastle, all the stuggle it was so totally worth it. I'm a very proud mom!

1 comment:

ME said...

Hey! Just found your blog and wanted to say Hi...your daughters are beautiful. I have a blog also it is: theedwardsfam.blogspot.com

Meredith