Sunday, June 17, 2012

NYC-Toys,Dinner and Misadventure

Monday morning Kevin had to go to meetings all day, so that left me to explore.  I had plans to go to the FAO Schwarz toy store which did not disappoint, and I wanted to visit Rockefeller Center.  It was a beautiful day, and I arrived at both locations without any problems at all. I bought the kids each an overpriced gift from the toy store, and got a little sidetracked by shops on my way through Rockefeller Center, but I didn't have much on my agenda, so it was ok.

 The BIG PIANO was fun to see, but would have been much more fun if it were my kids playing on it instead of the random people I didn't know. 
 The real fun started Monday night.  Because of our frustration with the Empire State Building, I texted Kevin during the day the things I wanted to do and told him to ask his friend that had lived in NYC the best way to get to all of the places. He neglected to do so which resulted in a rough night. He did get a good dinner recommendation for the Mesa Grill which is a Bobby Flay restaurant. That meant nothing to me, but apparently that's a good thing. The food was quite delicious, and I guess it was our one meal splurge.  I like a nice meal occasionally, but if I'm being honest, I could probably eat McDonald's every day with a piece of pizza every once in a while and be pretty content. 
 After dinner we had planned to head to Wall Street and the 9/11 Memorial.  We had ridden the subway to the dinner location which Kevin told me was on our way to the memorial.  I thought we would get back on the subway to get to where we were going, but Kevin decided to walk.  I was under the impression that it was about a half mile.  Not so much. We walked, and walked, and walked.  Finally, I asked Kevin, and he informed me that it was just a bit further.  He neglected to tell me he actually had no idea how to get where we were going .  I was becoming increasingly frustrated as I did spend the whole day walking while he was working, and I was tired.  We were also starting to walk in some sketchy looking areas which made me nervous.  After about an hour and a half of wandering, we did arrive at the memorial to find that it was closed and you had to have reserved tickets online ahead of time anyway.  Super annoying, and I was becoming increasingly irritable, and I'm pretty sure at this point, Kevin was getting tired of my complaining.  We attempted the subway to get home, once again with Kevin's navigation, it took us several attempts to get to the right station on the right train going the right direction.  Kevin wasn't bothered though, he doesn't mind walking, doesn't mind being lost, doesn't mind going the wrong way on the subway.  He couldn't have cared less.  I, on the other hand, felt a little differently.  Once we finally arrived back at the hotel after walking a million miles and riding 18 subway trains, it was possible we weren't speaking.  I mentally fired Kevin from navigating by foot and subway.  I was done with the wandering and the subway craziness.  I took over. ( I know that is shocking to so many of you.)

Don't worry, I can't hold out on the not talking thing for long (although, Kevin may wish I would), so we made up pretty quickly! It was a minor setback, and once I decided to make the plans and let Kevin off the hook, we were able to thoroughly enjoy the rest of our trip! By the time we left on Wednesday, we had managed to fit in everything we wanted to do while were there!

And although this guy can drive me completely crazy and frustrate me like none other, it takes a pretty special person to put up with me, so I can't complain too much! 
post signature


Brooke said...

LOL! When I read these it is almost like you telling it in person! I love it! Glad you all had a good time!

Alice said...

That is me! The controller, planner, complainer. Haha!