Thursday, June 14, 2012

NYC Adventure-Central Park

Look how happy we are here:)  Sweet, huh?  This was after hours of unplanned walking with blisters on my feet. I begged Kevin to just sit down and let me rest, and then I made him take a picture with me:) 

 So, I was trying to decide how to split up the NYC posts, and I decided by location.  I have a lot to say about our little adventure which is one reason that I'm skipping the many things that have happened between my last post and now.  I'll get back to them later, but now New York is on my mind.  First of all, you need to know there are going to be a lot of pictures of Kevin and I which is rather boring I know.  We're not nearly as cute as the kids, but I took the pictures, I figured I may as well do something with them.  Second of all, at times my tone may seem to be slightly negative.  Don't get me wrong, we had a great time, and I would do it again in a heartbeat we just had a few learning experiences along the way which provided for some frustation, but that's all part of the experience, right?!?!

As I was resting on the lawn, Kevin was trying to figure out the map.   

I should probably title this series of posts, What Not To Do When Visiting NYC! We went about it all wrong, but eventually figured things out.  The important thing is that we got to spend a few days just being together. Before I begin, there are a few things you should know about me in case you don't already.  I don't like crowds. I don't like lines. I like to have a plan. I operate on a schedule. I like to be efficient. I don't mind spending money, but I hate feeling like I've wasted money.  (I know, you're thinking I should never leave the house. I think that sometimes too.) Something that you should know about Kevin if you don't already is that he is the most easy going person ever, and is not bothered by anything at all. 
This is me resting on the Central Park lawn.  I really didn't want to get up.

 On to the first stop, Central Park.  When I anticipated going to Central Park, I assumed we would walk there from our hotel, a brief 1/2 mile walk, and then take a carriage ride around Central Park. Sounds lovely don't you think? Well, I was very wrong.  We in no way anticipated that it was National Puerto Rican Day which meant a very long six hour parade/party blocking all entrances from our direction in to Central Park.  Which meant a lot of walking that I wasn't prepared for.  We kept walking ahead of the parade because someone would tell us we could cross at the next street. Therefore, we saw the first float in the parade 27 times. My first stupid mistake was that I was too stubborn to put on tennis shoes, I was wearing flats, and by the time we got to where we could actually enter the park, my feet were killing me, and blistered on my little toes and heels.  So, when we finally arrived inside the park, I had no idea how huge it was, and I just wanted to sit down on a Central Park bench.  We stopped for a while taking it all in and looked up where we may be able to take a carriage ride.  Kevin thought a carriage ride would cost around $30.  Hmm...Let's think about that for a minute.  A carriage ride to see Christmas lights at Rhema costs $30, a ride in Central Park is comprable, right? Not so much.  When I told him it was $110, I could tell there was no way he was going for that.  So, no carriage ride:(  I was ok with that.  And a bit of advice if you ever plan to go to NYC, plan everything ahead and buy tickets before you arrive. It will save you tons of time and frustration.  Even though I like a plan, I try to be more relaxed when we travel and let Kevin take over.  You would think after 11 years of marriage I would have figured out that was a terrible idea and always ends badly, but apparently I'm a slow learner, or I just so desperately want a break from what I do every day at home.  I mean, he didn't even book a room for our wedding night before we headed out for our honeymoon. ( love you honey:) So, I can officially now say after this trip that I no longer have the expectation that he will coordinate the daily events of our trips.  If I want to see or do something, I will make the arrangements.  It may have taken 11 years, but I've finally decided to take on that responsibility. 
 
 With that being said, we did see most of Central Park and enjoyed walking around a little and seeing all the people.  It was very crowded, and we both found it interesting that there were people everywhere on the central lawn, just laying out between softball and baseball games. I thought that to be somewhat dangerous.  Some guy did actually get hit in the head with a ball.  No one seemed to be bothered, everyone was just hanging out having a great time. 
 We walked to the top of the Belvedere Castle.  It was a great view of the main part of the park and the city.  If I ever go back, I would like to spend more time here, but for the first visit, I can now say I've been there. 

post signature

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice post and good pics of you and Kevin! Central Park was, hands down, my favorite part of NYC. Perhaps, because like you, I hate crowds and lines and traffic. Central Park was the only part of NYC that didn't feel like NYC.

-Wendy