Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Christmas Tree Catastrophe

Every year, I think that decorating the Christmas tree should be some glorious event where everyone is happy, drinking hot chocolate, singing Christmas carols and of course, dressed accordingly. That's how you do it, isn't it? Instead, every year, we seem to slap up the Christmas tree before rushing away to our Thanksgiving destination, and this year was no different. I did manage to snap a picture of each of the kids helping out, and they were thrilled, so I guess that's all that matters in the end anyway. Lincoln was ecstatic about the holiday decorating and insisted on being heavily involved in the process. He managed to break several ornaments and get caught up in a few cords, but no one was injured, so I'm calling it a success!


On to the catastrophe part of the Christmas tree. We needed a new tree this year because the lights on our previous tree continued to burn out and we couldn't get them to work. It was also a little small for our living room. Being the eager, impatient person that I am, I rushed out to purchase a new tree. I had found a great deal on a 12ft tree that I thought would be perfect. I won't even go into the details of the purchase, but it involved Sam's, 2 giant boxes, and me alone desperately needing to find a bathroom (I must stop drinking so much caffeine) only to find them out of order. Moving on...when smart people buy large things, I'm assuming they do things such as measure or think logically. Not I, so I brought home this 12ft tree that didn't quite fit in our living room. It's way too much work to box it back up and take it back, so we did what any normal people would do and just left out one of the middle pieces. If you notice in the picture, it quickly gets really skinny at the top. Awesome, don't you think? Not to mention, when you get double the size of tree, it might require additional ribbon and decorations, but who has time for that? So, there you have it, our 2010 oddly shaped, sparsely decorated Christmas tree! On the bright side, it is up and done, so bring it on Christmas!



post signature

No comments: