Friday, January 30, 2009

What I Remember About Pregnancy

Thanks for all of your nice comments on the pregnancy post. We are very excited! As I was pondering this pregnancy, I began to think back on my previous ones. I don't exactly remember them fondly as you will read momentarily. I love kids, and the idea of a big family, even enough to suffer through nine long months of many things I loathe. So, here are a few of my memories from times past......

1. I gained 70 pounds. It was ugly. You know that basketball in the tummy thing, I didn't have that. No, no, no, my fat spread all over, head to toe. ( I may be comfortable enough with myself now that I would post a picture, if I had one. I don't think I allowed a single picture to be taken of me during my pregnancies.)

2. The pregnancy books say you may gain around 5 pounds your first trimester. I gained 25 pounds. At that point, I threw the book out the door and no longer believed anything it said.

3. When I went in the hospital to deliver, the nurse actually asked me how much I weighed. Did she actually expected me to verbalize that in front of my skinny husband? Of course I lied, as if at that points 10 pounds made a bit of difference.

4. I didn't want to go to my hometown fair because I hadn't seen any of those people for several years, and I wasn't thrilled about the idea of them seeing me and questioning whether I was a girl they once knew, or an inflated balloon being used for the upcoming parade. After much debate, I decided to bite the bullet and just go. I stepped out of the house to go to the car and started throwing up like crazy, I couldn't stop. Even better, as I was throwing up, I was also peeing my pants at the same time. It was ridiculous. I have never felt so out of control of all my body parts. That was my sign that I should go hibernate back inside. (I'm sorry if this grosses you out. I can't believe I actually wrote that publicly.) I believe this pregnancy maybe I should go ahead and get started on those kegal excercises.

5. When I was about 6 months pregnant, I was supposed to be in a wedding. I had flown in from CA, and my parents had driven to OK to see us. I remember arriving at the rehearsal looking like a beached whale while all of my skinny little friends were frolicking around in their adorable strapless sundresses. I sat in the car and cried. I refused to let my parents or husband get out of the car to go to the rehearsal, or the wedding for that matter, because I didn't want them to see how awful I looked next to my tiny beutiful friends. I still to this day have not seen those pictures.

Ok, that's enough reminiscing, I'm starting to get depressed. Not really, I suppose, I had two beautiful, healthy baby girls, and I would do it all over again....I guess I kind of already am.

8 comments:

Melinda said...

Thank you so much for posting this. I always feel like such a horrible person for saying I hated being pregnant when all of my friends absolutely loved it.

I am so excited for you though...so much so that it really makes me want another one. : )

April said...

From one prego girl to another...you are beautiful Devin! Just call me every day during your pregnancy and I will tell you that.

I have pregnancy mask with my pregnancies. Everyone keeps telling me I have mascara on my face and I reply with a polite,"No it's pregnancy spots"...I hate it! They went away with my first pregnancy so I hope they go away with this one....so if you see crazy brown spots on my face just know that I can't scratch them off! :)

The McDowells said...

I am one of those annoying girls who loved being pregnant and everything about it. However, I feel the same way about nursing as you feel about being pregnant. I am disgusting and refuse to let pictures of me be taken and have cried about how huge chested I am and how NOTHING fits. While I plan to nurse Emma for a year, like Macy and Charlie, and there are many wonderful things about it, I sure feel gross and it is pointless to even attempt to lose weight becuase it won't go anywhere until I am done nursing!! UGHH...I just remind myself that is all worth it!

I hope this pregnancy is easier on you than your first two!

Kevin said...

I can't believe you admitted all of that either. That was pretty funny to read though.

Brooke said...

I am completely cracking up! I knew all of these stories previously, however, when you put them in print they are just that much more funny! Also, you are beautiful and I am so very excited to be gaining another niece or nephew! Love you!

Jessica said...

i hear you on the weight gain devin...atleast you always turned around and got it right back off. you look great. i've decided since camden is almost one...it's no longer "baby weight" i've got hanging around...i must get it off.

Mandy said...

Dev, you are so hilarious and I miss you so much! I liked being pregnant but I refuse to gain as much weight this time!

Anonymous said...

Devin,
You have the funniest memories/stories! I am still very sure that you were still georgous even with 70 extra pounds.
I remember my feet and legs swelling so much I had horrible cankles! My face swelled and especially my nose. My feet grew 1/2 size with both of my pregnancies so now I have a size 10 feet. I wasn't comfortable being pregnant at all. Ok, the only time I was comfortable was when I was naked and I didn't have any restricting clothes on and there were no mirros around and it was completely dark. I could barely fit behind my steering wheel of my car too! So many issues.
The one thing that I did love was when I could feel and see them moving around, I loved that. And of course the delivery, that was the hardest thing I've ever had to do but it was also the funnest!