Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Music To My Ears

Since we are not actually "doing" anything blog worthy, I thought I would post a few of the funny things I've heard lately (funny to me that is, they may be stupid to you). Some from my students, some from my own children.

Why I teach....

If you recall from some previous posts, I mentioned that I am teaching the decades this year which is fun, but quite overwhelming. One of my classes was doing their research and one of the girls asked me which decade I was born in. I told her the 70's, and then strongly emphasised it was 1979 almost in the 80's. She goes "Wow, that is really old. You don't look that old." I asked her how old she thought I looked. She said "Like a teenager, maybe 21, you look so young you could be a model." She quickly jumped to the top of my list of favorite students. (j/k, I of course don't have favorites, I love them all.) So, despite my overgrown eyebrows and the holiday tire sitting around my waist, looking young made me model material in the eyes of a third grader.

In one of my other classes, most of the kids had left and only about four students were left working on their research. One of the girls was looking at a page that had a list of fifties song titles, surprised I knew several of them, I burst out in song. If you know me at all, you know I only do things like that behind closed doors in front of people that are 11 or under. Actually, you may not even believe I would do it then. Anyway, one of my usually rambunctious boys says "You have a really good voice!" I of course had to laugh, and if you have EVER heard me utter a musical note, you know that could not possibly be true. However, it made my day. If only everyone could see and hear me through the eyes of an elementary school student it would do wonders for my self image.

Tonight while I was cooking dinner (don't get the wrong idea here, that translates into heating up chicken nuggets and making grilled cheese), I told the girls they had to go play for a while while I slaved away in the kitchen. They apparently decided to have a dance contest. Skylar demonstrated some of her best moves, and then told Londyn to do hers. Londyn was being her typical goofy self. When she was done, Skylar laughed and said "Those aren't dance moves, that's like crazy monkey moves."

In the car on the way home Skylar started singing the books of the New Testament. I was shocked, I didn't even know she had been introduced to that song. She sang through most of it, and I helped her out through some of what she couldn't remember. Londyn was listening, but had obviously never heard the song because when Skylar finished, she asks "Why did he bruise James?" (Hebrews, James..just in case you didn't pick up on that.)

6 comments:

Melinda said...

That last little tidbit is hilarious!

As for being a model...you don't have to be a 3rd grader to think that...your student was absolutely right - you are beautiful!

Grandma Del said...

Londyn that is so cute. Sounds like you have a lot of fun. Kids say the cutiest things.

Jessica said...

teaching does do wonders for your self-image...i used to love the fact that my first graders loved me.

Brooke said...

I am still laughing every time I read this. I love hearing what kids come up with to say. It is just too cute!

Heather said...

I know that you are a wonderful teacher. I love to read your blog, especially when I haven't gotten to see you in a while. It's like getting to talk to you.. You are a great teacher, a great mother, and, most precious to me, a great friend. See you soon! Heather

Devin said...

Blogging also improves my self image! Thank you for your nice comments:)