Friday, June 24, 2011

Washington DC

Up until last week, our summer has been a bit ho-hum. Not at all in a bad way, but we were pretty much doing the typical summer things like swimming, playing outside, reading, etc. We are slightly limited on the number of things we can do because Lincoln, although precious, requires a little more rest time throughout the day. I still think we were all enjoying our time of just hanging out doing what we want when we wanted. However, last week was our first of many mini vacations we'll be taking throughout the summer. We hadn't planned any big vacations this summer since I quit my job, but Kevin had a few travel dates planned for work, so things worked out that we could turn a couple of those trips into little getaways without spending a fortune. So, our first was a trip to Washington D.C. Kevin had a training there last week, and we had previously won a free airline ticket, so I used that and we went the weekend ahead to enjoy the city. Washington has always been a place I've wanted to visit for obvious reasons, so I was thrilled to get to go. The kids stayed with my family in Missouri, and couldn't have been happier to be left there for week without us. I'm sure I've said it a million times, but I LOVE taking trips just Kevin and I. It's so nice to just be able to spend time together and not be distracted by all of the daily duties at home. We had a great time taking in all the sites, and just being together. The only down side of just the two of us going is that there are very few pictures with us in them. I hate asking people to stop and take a photo of us, so I ended up with lots of pictures of just the stuff. I may as well have copied them from the internet. It was a bit overwhelming with so many things to do, but I would definitely say we made the most of our time. We are, however, planning a trip back in about three years with the kids so they can see everything as they are learning it in school. I may try to post more pics in the coming days, but we are home only long enough to do laundry and then we are headed to San Antonio with the kids. (another work training for Kevin that we are all taking advantage of) Shortly after that, we will be headed to spend a few days in Missouri. It will be a busy, but fun July!

1 comment:

Wendy said...

I went to DC last year with my mom & it was nice, she spent a majority of the trip in meetings, while I went sightseeing. No pictures of me either! This year I'm taking a group of students to DC for about 3 days, but I'm a little torn because of our newest family member being so young-I hate to leave!

I decided not to return to work this next school year too & so our family is cutting way back on traveling and unnecessary expenses, too. So our summer is a little ho-hum, but I have a few surprises up my sleeves for July & right before school starts for Hunter.

Enjoy your summer!