Saturday, June 25, 2011

JFK

About spring break time this last school year, Skylar's teacher read a book to the class about John F. Kennedy. Apparently Skylar was quite intriqued by his assassination, and has not received adequate answers to her questions. I'm sure she was driving her teacher crazy as the rest of the class had quickly moved on to another subject. Her teacher checked out every JFK book from the school library, but most books written for children, even the chapter books didn't really go into much depth about the assassination. (I can't imagine why) Anyway, I thought her slight obsession would settle. I think I was wrong. When we got back from Washington, I asked her what she thought I brought for her, and she quickly replied " A book about John F. Kennedy!" I was shocked that she really remembered, but that was exactly what I brought her. However, after reading the book I brought, she promptly replied "That book didn't tell me anything I didn't already know. I know about Oswald and Ruby! I need to know what REALLY happened and why it happened!" Well, good luck with that one. She WAS impressed that I saw his grave and the burning flame next to it that she knew more about than I did. I don't know what I'm going to do with this girl. She is such a nerd, and I mean that in the most loving, motherly way possible! It was nice though that she was so interested in everything I had to tell her about my trip. When we returned, we sat for a few hours at my parents house, looking at all the books I brought back about Washington and all the sites there. I kept asking if she wanted to do something else, but she said no, she wanted to learn about all of the places. It worked out well for both of us. No one else in their right mind would want to sit and listen to me ramble on about my trip and my excitement about getting to see all the things I'd only read about. Londyn, bless her heart tried so hard to be interested. I think she is the only child that may have missed us even a little, so she wanted to sit by me and try to listen, but you could tell the poor girl was bored out of her mind, and I couldn't blame her a bit.

1 comment:

Wendy said...

Coming from a history teacher...that is awesome! I always refer to myself as a history "nerd", to my students. haha I think it is great that she questions what happened to JFK and wants the REAL answers, too! Good for her!